A Glossary Of Essential Interior Design Terms

Author: Laura Grist Interior Design Inc. | | Categories: Kitchen Renovation Designs , Lighting Design , Millwork Drawings , New Construction Designs , Residential Designs


Every industry has its own language and terms. These words and phrases can be confusing to anyone who is not part of the daily operations of a specific sector, and the interior design business is no exception.

To help you understand the terms, acronyms, and phrases regularly used when designing your home, Laura Grist Interior Design INC. has created this handy reference guide. Here you’ll find valuable information allowing you to comprehend and communicate your interior design needs effectively.

But first, what’s the difference between an interior decorator and an interior designer?
The difference is primarily education. To be an Interior Designer, you have to complete approximately three to four years of schooling at an accredited technical school. Interior Designers need to be able to draw using AutoCad and spec appropriate materials. Interior Decorators work in conjunction with Interior Designers to finish off the “soft furnishing” of the house, including drapery, furniture, and artwork. All Interior Designers can be Interior Decorators, but not all Interior Decorators can call themselves Designers.

It’s a full-bodied product where the wood is top to bottom. It’s generally the most expensive product, and it can be sanded up to three times to change the look of the floor.

Engineered Hardwood
It’s a thin layer of natural wood that is attached to a substrate. The substrate is generally plywood or MDF material.

It’s identical to wood, but no trees need to be cut when making this product. It’s generally the least expensive option, and the technology has come a long way, making it a great product to use when on a tight budget.

Vinyl flooring
It’s probably the hottest trend right now as it’s very family-friendly. It’s easily replaceable when there is damage, and it’s also waterproof.

MDF v/s. plywood boxes for kitchen cabinets
MDF is an acronym for Medium Density Fiberboard. MDF comes in a variety of colors as well as a “Plywood” color. Many people feel that plywood is superior as it looks great, so upgrade to the plywood boxes for your kitchen if you can afford it.

We hope these terms made you feel more confident about carrying out an interior design project. If you’re looking for an interior designer, reach out to the experts at Laura Grist Interior Design INC. We specialize in new construction/renovation, concept development, space planning, construction drawings, materials selection, specification packages, furniture, and window coverings. We serve clients across Vancouver, Burnaby, Langley City, Port Moody, Port Coquitlam, Coquitlam, Pitt Meadows, Walnut Grove, Belcarra, North Vancouver, West Vancouver, White Rock, and the surrounding areas.

Please view our complete list of services hereread customer reviews here, or get in touch with us here.

Read More Blog Articles